Wednesday, February 23, 2005

They're starting to come together...

You might remember the ongoing saga of the challenge blocks that members of my art quilt group, The Pointless Sisters, made. At our January meeting, we met and exchanged all of the blocks. (You can read the specifics of the challenge here.)

Anyway, the Pointless Sisters met again yesterday, and a few diligent folks had managed to assemble their blocks into quilt tops. (Mine are still in the box where I put them after the Feb. meeting. No surprise.)

Here is my good buddy Pat Marabella with her vase blocks. (Pat is one of the "fab five" field trip friends and the good sport who sits in the "way back" without complaint, every time!)



Didn't she do a fabulous job? She worked in pieces of Jane Sassman fabric to balance the spots where there weren't blocks.

And here's my friend Janet Shore's quilt top. (Janet, by the way,is the senior-most of our field trip buddies so she usually gets the front passenger seat.) I love the non-gridded arrangement of the blocks. Her choice of background fabric works well with these, too.



By the way, I'll mention here that Janet Shore is one of the most amazing women I've ever met. She's over 80, but you'd never know it from looking at her. She's energetic, physically, mentally, and emotionally. She's always smiling and has the funniest sense of humor. She's also direct, and she'll tell you if the border you put on your quilt doesn't look right or your fabrics are too blah. (She's always pointing out how important value is in a quilt, and she's always right.) Janet was one of the founders of the East Bay Heritage Quilters in Berkeley and it seems like she knows pretty much everyone in quilting....AND she's still learning and sewing and laughing and curious for more. I want to be like her when I grow up.

Thanks to Sandy Chan-Brown for remembering her camera (unlike moi and sending me her pictures!

No comments :

Post a Comment