Tuesday, May 03, 2005

What I'm reading...

Reading is a huge part of my life. I've always been an avid reader, and I love to get book recommendations from others. That's why I enjoy seeing "what I'm reading" lists on blog sidebars. It fascinates me to find out what other people read, and I often end up going to look up books I might not have heard about otherwise.

When I set up my blog, I was excited to find a site called allconsuming.net, which allowed you to mark books you were reading and then link them to your blog so your blog was always current. However, the amazing programmer who set up that site has had various problems it and it hasn't been functioning well lately. I haven't found anything else like it (if anyone has any recommendations, I'd be eager to hear them) and I'm too lazy to update my whole blog template every time I change books...which do every 2 or 3 days. So, I'm going to just add a "what I'm reading" from time to time, just in case you want to know.

And you might want to know what I'm reading now, because it's a fascinating book. It's called "The Dogs of Babel," by Carolyn Parkhurst. It's a very well-written story of a man whose wife has died under circumstances which are mysterious to him. He becomes obsessed with teaching their dog, the sole witness, to talk so he can find out the truth about her death --was it accidental or did Lexy commit suicide?

3 comments :

  1. From one keen reader to another - (that now-not-functioning site sounds marvellous ..) anyway, I too mention what I have just finished reading in my blog, and letters home too, as what I read is almost as important to me as what I produce with my hands - and certainly I am verbal and pretty opinionated- so what I read feeds into that directly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Dogs of Babel is a good book. I read it (on a shop owners recommendation) a few months ago. Eerie and funny and sad. I cried as I read the whole last part.

    Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've added a "what I'm reading" section to my template, because I thought it would embarress me to read more! Honestly I jused to read so much, but haven't done much lately. The changing the template thing may get to a problem, but I thought I'd try it because it was the only way I knew to do it.

    ReplyDelete