Thursday, August 04, 2005

My favorite things

What with work obligations, and family activities, and the post-vacation catching up on things like garden and laundry and such, I've not had any creative time and I've not even dug my digital camera out of my backpack where it nested while we were in Tahoe! So, I apologize for the picture-free series of entries here. I'll get back to normal shortly, I think.

In the meantime, I'm posting this list of some of my favorite things...because Caroline was watching "The Sound of Music" earlier this evening and the song stuck in my head. Please post on your blog, I'd love to see what you'd say!

So, in no particular order, here are some of my favorite things:

The sound of a rainbird sprinkler on a hot summer day

A hot bubble bath

Clean cotton sheets on the bed

The smell of library books

Stencilled and calico china buttons

Japanese quilting magazines

My waterman fountain pen

Watching Caroline riding horseback

Tulips

Peanut butter and rasberry jam sandwiches

The view from our bedroom window, across a few rooftops to vineyard-covered hills in the distance

Rainy days

The crunch of snow underfoot

The smell of chocolate chip cookies baking

Playing "yatzee" with Caroline

The scent of the summertime air in Lake Tahoe

Shiny red dishes

My round, pink teapot

Listening to Roger play his guitar

Scones with orange marmelade, and earl grey tea

The hum of my sewing machine when I'm free-motion quilting

Gemma's wild tail-wagging greeting in the morning

Sparkling water, cold and blubbly

A fresh, juicy peach at the peak of summer


I could go on and on. What's your list?

3 comments :

  1. I'll take your list, doubled. I would add to the fresh sheets, climbing in to a neatly made bed. I MUST have tidy sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Thanks for the idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so inspiring! Clean closets, organizing your stash (and letting it spread around your house!), your gorgeous butterfly (glad you are getting back to it - I has wondered where it went!), and, maybe best of all - the dusty, slightly mildewy smell of library books. I still miss the scent of the stamp pad ink from when they used to stamp the due date on the little slips... ah well.

    Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete