Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Work and Play

There is nothing like getting a bunch of new work assignments in my email inbox to make me want to quilt.

Truly, I am a contrary person.

I have three new cases to work on, one of which is a criminal case and that research always takes me longer as I've never actually practiced live in a criminal court and I tend to research and re-check out of paranoia caution. Plus, I have two appellate briefs to write in the next 30 days or so.

So if you don't see a lot of quilting content here in the next week or two, you'll know why.

On the other hand, this pile of work makes me want to get right to fabric and machine, so maybe I'll manage to squeeze something in.

You never know.

Meanwhile, I'm off to do a bit of research. Here's my question for tonight...How does a veterinarian know for sure who owns a pet and can authorize treatment for it?

(Which reminds me of a feeling I had constantly when I was a new lawyer. I'd get off the phone after a client had asked me some question...and I'd feel all panicky and uncertain because I almost never knew the answer in those early days. I'd think, "Okay. Calm down. There must be someone you can call for a quick answer." And then I'd think, "Hmmm. That'd be a lawyer. Um.......that's me." And I'd force myself to calm down, then head to the library and dig in until I found something.

Nowadays, I still don't know a clear answer to the questions I get asked much of the time, but at least I dig in to research a lot faster, and without the panic.

4 comments :

  1. As someone who used to work in a vet's office, I'd have to say sometimes they don't know for sure. You recognize "regulars" of course. But if someone you've never seen before walks in with a dog or cat (or whatever) and says it belongs to them, you have them fill out paperwork and sign something saying they're responsible for the bill and you take their word for it. (Maybe there's a better way someplace else...only going on my own experience here.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Mary, you and I think alike! That's exactly what I've been writing. Apparently we're both brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, all that legal talk has gotten me eager to watch Law and Order reruns for the rest of the afternoon. I feel dizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched the premiere episode of "Conviction" and am ready to try my first case.

    The way I've seen it work in the South is you sign a document that says you are legally responsible for any and all bills and they go to work regardless....I did it once for a stray. We never did find the owner but once placed, the new owners re-imbursed me, miracles and wonders never cease.

    ReplyDelete