Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Shattered

I had this plan for today. I was going to get up, and post a new entry with pictures of the quilt stuff I did yesterday, then I had a pleasant day ahead of some fusing play time.

Instead, I went downstairs at 6:30 am to find glass all over the living room. Somehow, during the night someone took a huge blunt object to our two living room windows and shattered them. Weirdly, Roger and I had awakened during the night to a loud noise, but Roger saw nothing when he went downstairs to investigate (probably because the living room blinds were down and he couldn't see that the windows had broken). I looked out the bedroom window (which faces the front of the house) and didn't see anything.

What a shock. And then, when I went outside to see the damage from the front, I saw that TWO windows on my car had been shattered as well.

So, the morning has been spent with local police and insurance reps and a lot of time shop-vacking glass. Roger had to rush off to school for a class but he will be back as soon as he can.

I've taken pictures for insurance purposes but am too disheartened to post them here. You all don't want to see such ugliness, anyway.

A neighbor who opened her door when she heard noise, saw two adolescent boys running around the corner (our house is on a corner). The police thinks it may have been aimed at a school principal who lives on a corner in the same position as our house but on the next block over. All that rage, and they hit the wrong house? It's sort of a relief to think that it was kids, rather than grown-ups....but still, it has me thinking. Was this aimed at us specifically for any reason? Why hit MY car and not touch Roger's which was parked right next to it? My Ipod was in the car (although tucked out of sight) and my cell phone was clearly visible looking in...those weren' taken. So it WAS about the damage, not about theft. And if it was mistaken identify, will it happen again?

My tough, street-wise urban transplant neighbor says he will be watching all street traffic today for me, as he thinks that anyone who did that would come back to see what they accomplished by the light of day. He says he's ready to jump in his car and follow them. Great. I'm not sure I'm comforted by this.

I'm going to go take some advil, then take a shower, and then...well, wait for the restoration guys that the homeowners' insurance company is sending over.

I think this calls for chocolate. Is it too early for a margarita?

12 comments :

  1. Anonymous1:42 PM

    Ugh - what a horrible, intrusive thing to have happen to you. :( Yes, definitely have a nice hunk of chocolate, or even a chocolate martini. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:53 PM

    What an awful thing to have happen. You won't feel safe for a long time. How is Caroline taking this? I think you should have a chocolate marguerita. Hope they catch these punks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ice cream with chocolate sauce and whipped cream and nuts...

    O I forgot why I was writing. I am so sorry to hear of this destruction and the conspiracy that evoked it. Boys. Doesn't anyone pay attention to the clues and prevent this stuff like they are supposed to do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back to school. Such anger. What are the schools doing to provoke this in our children? Remember when we looked forward to going back to school? So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! The bucolic Healdsburg has night time marauders wreaking vandalism on random homeowners. I am sure this was a mistaken identity job. You haven't got a F--- Bush bumpersticker anyplace on your car or house, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrible thing to have to deal with! All that mess to clean up, and the uncertainty about why it happened - I feel for you!
    I hope you had both a hunk of chocolate and a marguerita! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's horrible! So senseless and scary.

    You should have whatever you need to feel better. It's 5:00 somewhere. {{{{{{Diane}}}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:12 PM

    Ugh! I think you need a chocolate martini to deal with this violation. That really sucks. Hope the kids get caught and made to do al sorts of community service and hard time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:53 PM

    I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Offering prayers for you and Roger and Caroline tonight...I wish there was more I could do.
    ((((( Diane )))))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, I really feel for you. We have some teen thugs on our street too, and it is scary that the parents don't care what kinds of things they do. They openly do drugs on their front porch, saying "we'll be done before the police get here."
    I'm actually more afraid of the children than the adults, because they are more willing to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just reading this and I'm sorry that this happened to you. It's always such a violation to have your home or property damaged like that. I am glad that no one was harmed and nothing was stolen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Diane,
    I had to find your post again about the vandalism you had, because I have encountered similar vandalism. I think my comment to your post was a foreshadowing. Anyway, I was wondering if you learned any lessons about dealing with this situation, the insurance company, etc., since it is my turn now.

    ReplyDelete