Monday, November 06, 2006

Nantucket west

I've been working on a Nantucket theme in our master bathroom. And today, I added the picket fence.



I've always wanted to try this sort of wall mural stencilling. I found this fence stencil some months ago, at Beverly's I think. Having finished a big work project last night, I woke up this morning with the urge to give it a try.

There are actually two smaller bits of fence on the walls on either side of the door (behind me as I took this picture). It was pretty fun, actually, although I do think that my shadow grey is a bit too dark. I'll live with a bit before I decide whether to go over that color in a lighter grey.

I have a wonderful delphinium stencil that might make for nice flowers behind the fence...but we'll see. I've been looking for a good climbing rose stencil, but haven't one so far that I like. They're too "americana" or too victorian or, well, too something.

Tonight, I'm sore but satisfied. I think I'll go soak in the tub and admire my handiwork.

PS. Thanks for all the good-luck-with-lice wishes and suggestions from everyone. We have managed to avoid them, which is a pleasant relief.

7 comments :

  1. Love it. I wish we'd installed big hooks rather than towel bars. Lovely rug too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:08 AM

    Where do you get your boundless energy?!! It looks great! The contrast with the grey looks good in the photo, but of course you will need to sit with it for a while. The little things sure make a difference . . . enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Try this site for stencils:
    http://www.jeanhansen.com/

    I love your fence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely job!!! How about Hollyhocks for your flowers? I used to spend a lot of time on Nantucket and the Vineyard and recall most fondly both the climbing roses and the hollyhocks..but don't ask me where to find a stencil!!!
    Glad the lice are no where to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:14 PM

    It turned out so good!! Great job!!
    dawn
    http://www.ouradventuresinkorea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy day after Election Day. Your wish is our command. Blogger wouldn't let me post a comment on your other entry. I think we are on the way of getting what we all want. Your fence in the bathroom is so pretty, as is the rug. It will be like being outside in the garden when bathing. Only without the bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:34 PM

    This is so beautiful! I love the colors and the rug, too. I may have to try that somewhere around this house if I can find a spare wall!

    ReplyDelete