Sunday, March 04, 2007

A Sneak Peek


I've been working on my muslin challenge today, and here's a peek.
You remember? This is the challenge where the only fabric we can use is muslin. I gave myself several goals with this project. I wanted to experiment with painting with Tsukineko inks, which I'd never used before. I wanted my piece to have a bit of color, but a lot of exposed muslin with the design in threadwork. And (doubling up on challenges, here) I decided to make a Eucalyptus related quilt, as the Eucalyptus tree one aspect of inspiration in my design workshop.
This isn't the greatest picture, but I was trying to show the dense linear background quilting done in muslin-colored thread. I've discovered that quilting in off-white thread on muslin creates a lot of texture but it's pretty invisible.
Anyway, quilting is done, and it's now blocking on my design wall.

8 comments :

  1. oohhh! I want to see the whole quilt!!! this is looking really great. I am very partial to muslin. I have not tried the inks but it is one of the things I want to do and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful. I can't wait to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane that looks wonderful - being an Aussie - from the home of the eucalypt - I must say I'm a bit partial to gum leaves and gumnuts :)

    I love the heavily textured quilting too. Beautiful work - look forward to seeing the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:49 AM

    You asre really breaking out of your box!! I can't wait to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little bit you've shown tells me you've got a grove thing going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilting! I'm really looking forward to seeing the whole thing! Your Desert Twilight quilt looks really wonderful too.I'm glad to hear that the Ricky Tims method of binding worked out so well. I have to thank you for recommending that DVD. I bought it after you mentioned it the last time, and I have really enjoyed watching it, and can't wait to try out all the different techniques. I had put a quilt top aside because I couldn't decide on how to quilt it, but after watching the DVD I was inspired to try some feather quilting and have managed to draw my own to fit the pattern of the quilt. I can't wait to try binding it the Ricky Tims way too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful this is turning out. I love the close quilting between the leaves. I've never heard of that ink before--did you start out with the white and then dye it?

    I can't wait to see more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. The quilting is amazing. I can't wait to see the whole thing (like everyone else!).

    ReplyDelete