Wednesday, September 05, 2007

And speaking of books...



I just received this gorgeous book in the mail. It's The Painted Quilt, by Linda and Laura Kemshall.

Wow.

The timing is perfect for me, as I recently discovered how much I love painting on fabric. (Thank you, Gerry Chase.) But even if I hadn't had that revelation recently, this book would sure make me want to go play with paints.

But that makes this book sound limited, and it surely isn't. It covers dyeing fabric, painting, monoprinting, using stencils, discharge, and various other surface design methods. More importantly, though, the art in this book is flat out gorgeous and very inspirational. There isn't a simplistic project in the batch, and yet the methods shown are laid out to make them seem very do-able. And seeing how elegantly the techniques are used together to create such evocative and original work is really exciting.

I didn't realize it until it came up in a recent conversation that Linda and Laura Kemshall (mother and daughter) teach an online City and Guilds course. And they, with a few others, have just started up a new journal called "Thr3fold, The Journal of Creative Vision."

I'm a book junkie, as you may have noticed, and I have some really great books in my collection. But this is one I know I'll look at over and over and over.

7 comments :

  1. Did you order directly from them ?
    I was hoping there would be a US distributor soon !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered the book through Amazon. And you can order their new journal directly from them and pay via Paypal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby purchased this as an early birthday present and WOW! I think this is one of the most inspirational books I have seen in a long time. I am off to order the journal now. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ordered a copy of thr3fold. (Yikes! Very pricey with the conversion rate.) I haven't received it yet, but I have heard raves. Now I'll have to add this book to my wish list also. I've been very impressed with their articles in Quilting Arts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thier work is beautiful isnt it. I need to get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane,
    I received this book about a month ago and just love it. I take city and guilds classes from them and they are really great. the journal is not as great as I expected but I think it will get better over time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane
    I recently received this book also. It's such an inspiration, I would love to order thr3fold also but it's a bit pricey, I'm still lusting for it, though.
    It would be fun for those of us with this book to try out a technique a week and document the results.

    ReplyDelete