Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Friends Face to Face



Well, Roger and Caroline and I enjoyed a lovely evening last night with Brenda and her husband David. I was not surprised to find that I instantly felt comfortable with her -- after all, we have known each other for a while now, even if we've never met in person! Roger and David thought it odd how much we knew of each other's life, and how we asked questions as if we were long-time friends. But we ARE friends with a history and a knowledge of each other's life -- it's just not based on geographical proximity!

We were reminded how much we have in common -- the legal training, of course, and a similar ambivalence about legal work combined with the recognition that it's an efficient and relatively interesting way to earn a good income. And of course, once we started talking quilts, we were off and running.

Here is a blurry but shot of the elusive David. (I say that because I don't think I ever saw a photo of him on Brenda's blog.) What a nice fellow he is. He and Roger talked wine with the same eager excitement Brenda and I reserve for fabric and quilt talk.



We enjoyed a leisurely dinner (grilled salmon, baked potatoes, salad, sourdough french bread of course, a delicious local zinfandel, and lemon cheesecake for dessert.

Brenda brought me this lovely, lovely gift from New Zealand where she'd been visiting her family -- a book featuring the work and biographies about New Zealand textile artists! It's a beautiful book, with a page or two on each artist. Wasn't that incredibly nice of her? I'm going to get a lot of enjoyment out of this!



And of course we did the tour of quilts around the house and I was able to show her my Dandelions in person. We agreed that it's SO much more satisfying to see quilts in person. Brenda was also amused to see the Hinty frame taking up a significant spot in the master bedroom.

Now Roger and I are thinking there could be a trip to Australia in our future. SOME day.

I'm so delighted we were able to meet.

5 comments :

  1. Anonymous4:17 AM

    How wonderful for all of you! And to all those people who thought the internet would mean we lost contact with others - how wrong they were!

    But when you come to Australia, you must come to Queensland too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to read about your evening! Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you were able to meet blog friends, and share inspiration in person. It sounds like a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like Cinderella.. hopefully I get to meet you both in the flesh someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! I now realize that she came to your house. For some reason, I thought you met her in SF. Wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete