Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My personal olympic challenge: applique!

I can't believe it was four years ago that I joined Stephanie McPhee aka Yarn Harlot and entered the Knitting Olympics.  I never would have tried to knit a lace shawl if not for the enthusiasm she sparked, and trust me, I will never knit another lace shawl again.

So I only have myself to blame for my latest project.  Well, I'll assign a touch of blame to Kellie and her gorgeous blog "Don't Look Now" for enticing me toward hand applique as no other collection of quilts and patterns have ever managed to do.   I'd been marveling over the beauty of Kellie's "Joseph's Coat" quilt-along, but I'd resisted....until it occurred to me that it'd be quite nice to have a hand-sewing project to work on as I followed the Olympics.

And what better color to use than PINK?!  I pulled pinks out of my stash, and added a few more quarter-yard cuts to the collection...


and away I go.  I've finished ONE block so far.  It makes me very happy. 




There's no way this will be done by the end of the Olympics, but that's okay.  Working with these fabrics and colors is so cheering that I'm content to take this slowly. 

And if you're tempted, Kellie has the full directions on her blog so you can jump right in!

3 comments :

  1. Your block is gorgeous! I have been considering this as a new project myself, but I have so much on my to do list, that I probably won't. And no quilting Olympics for me this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colours you used are wonderful. Good luck to finish your project on time...or try to !
    Butter

    http://lepetitmondedebutter.blogs.marieclaireidees.com/

    ReplyDelete